If you always wanted your own beautiful garden with fruits, vegetables, and flowers, you probably love the opportunity and the time retirement has given you to start gardening.
If you are a newcomer with a green thumb, you can start with your kitchen garden or in the balcony of your apartment.
If you don’t fancy gardening, research by the Royal College of Physicians shows that exposure to plants, green space, and particularly to gardening, is beneficial for mental and physical health. Do you need further convincing?
When it comes to home gardening, there are two schools of thought -
- All you need is seeds, soil, sun, and water.
- “Which gardening tool should I buy?” Trowel (करणी), Shovels (फावड़ा), Spades (कुदाल) - the list never ends. You are overwhelmed!
Remember that getting into gardening is like getting into cooking – very few tools are absolutely necessary, but there are many specialized tools to make your job easier. For example, you can cut apples with a simple knife. But having an apple cutter or slicer will save you time and effort.
This article will take you through a few essential gardening tools and their uses, a list of useful gardening products you can buy online, and important tips for selecting gardening tools for seniors.
Five Basic Gardening Tools for Home
- The first and the most important tool to have is a trowel. Whether you’re gardening in containers, raised beds, or directly in your back yard, a hand trowel is a must-have gardening tool. Hand trowels are perfect for digging, transferring soil into pots, or planting seedlings and bulbs.
- Is there a tool to dig out weeds in the garden? Yes, it is called the Weeding Fork or Gardening fork or Hoe. Unlike shovels and trowels, weeding forks easily remove weeds (जंगली घास) with the roots. It is used for digging, chopping, planting, cultivating, or weeding your garden.
How to use a weeding fork
- Simply place the blade on the soil surface
- Move it back and forth
- Push and pull it like you would use a vacuum cleaner
- The blade will dig in just below the surface and cut off weeds at the root
- दस्ती कैंची or Pruning Shears, also known as secateurs. It is a type of scissors that are strong enough to clip/ trim hard branches of plants and shrubs.
- Lawn Mower: in simple words, this is a powerful grass cutter for your home garden. You can buy both manual and electrically operated mowers. With regular mowing, you will make the garden a pleasant spot to spend the evenings in. Sipping a cup of chai and admiring the lovely landscape that you have mowed is a welcome treat to the eyes.
- Some might say – ‘we live in an apartment and not a big house with the lawn.’ Now, don’t let that stop you from gardening! Flowering pots made with terracotta, metal, or good poly-material make it easy to start gardening – right in the balcony.
Premium Garden Tools from Falcon contains all the five basic gardening tools for beginners. The kit contains a trowel, grafting knife, weeding fork, hand cultivator, and hand weeder. These tools can be used for weeding, transplanting, cultivating and rowing.
You can also decide to buy this advanced tool kit. It has 10 tools needed to start gardening at home. Ideal for weeding, transplanting, cultivating and rowing with ease.
1. Garden Gloves
2. Budding Grafting Knife
3. Big Trowel
4. Small Trowel
5. Weeding Fork
6. Hand Cultivator
7. Hand Weeder
The set also includes the following garden cutting tools -
8.Shearing Type Pruning secateurs
9. Roll-Cut Type Pruning secateurs
10. Double Action Pruning Saw
- Can be used for digging, raking, and planting
- Puncture-proof material protects fingers and fingernails
- Built-in claws replace the need to carry other tools
- Gloves are waterproof, flexible and durable
- Made with breathable material to provide comfort to your hands
- To cut and prune flowers, plants, herbs, and branches
- Accurate cut
- Easy-to-grip garden cutting tool
- Ideal for bonsai and rose plants
Give your home or garden a fresh and innovative look with vibrant colored pots.
- Made of metal with powder-coated paint
- These pots have handles and can be hung on the balcony, window, or railing
- Can be used for dried flowers, silk flowers, or potted plants
- Hook Height: 5.5 Inch
This set of 10 bags is suitable for all types of vegetables, fruits, and flower plants!
- Thick and durable construction
- UV protected
- White cover outside and black on the inside
- Suitable for all types of plants
Note: Plants are not included with the bags
Falcon’s Premium Fruit Catcher is a useful garden tool that allows you to pluck fruits easily without having to use a ladder. This fruit catcher has a cutting blade which can be locked at the fruit for plucking.
- Ideal for plucking and picking fruits easily
- Easy and convenient to use
- You can also get a 6 feet-long extension pipe to pluck hard-to-reach fruits
These mini garden tools (set of 4) are the cutest and most useful gift you will ever give bonsai lovers. The set contains a trowel, fork, cutter and min-spade. The size is perfect for bonsai and small pots.
- 100% natural & organic lawn bio fertilizers
- Promotes grass quality and removes brown patches
- Provides all the necessary vital ingredients to the grass
- Promote the uniform lush green lawn /grass growth
- Easy to use: sprinkle the lawn booster in dry form and irrigate thoroughly
- 1 kg lawn booster fertilizer is suitable for 50 sq. feet of lawn
Neem seed powder is one of the most popular organic fertilizers around.
- Great organic fertilizer for vegetable garden
- Acts as pest repellent
- Bio-degradable & eco-friendly fertilizer
- Helps increase plant yield
- Compatible with earthworms and beneficial soil microbes
- Ideal for terrace garden, balcony garden, vegetables, fruits and flowering plants
A push lawn mower is a must-have tool for a beautiful lawn.
- Lightweight hand tool
- Easy-to-drive cylinder mower
- Sound-free & environment-friendly
- Adjustable height
- Cutting width: 28 cm
- Cuts the grass fine
Nobody wants snakes in their garden. So, this is one tool you want to keep handy if your garden or locality has attracted snakes before.
- Polished nickel-plated blade
- Aluminium alloy 6 feet handle
- Steel teeth help to fix the snake
- Zigzag wide jaw allows for maximum grip
- Exclusive pistol-style handle with a lock and latch
- Durable and sturdy
- Provides water in a manner similar to rainfall
- Distributes water evenly
Important Tips for Selecting Gardening Tools
Ask yourself the following questions -
- Do the gardening hand tools have bright handles? (Bright colors make it easy to spot them in the mud or greenery)
- Does this tool allow me to work in a comfortable position?
- Can I hold the gardening tool easily?
- What kind of maintenance does the tool require?
- Do I have the strength and skill to use it properly?
Choose gardening equipment that is right for you- in terms of size and ease of use.
We understand the importance of selecting the right gardening tools, specially designed for senior citizens! Select and order the equipment you need for your garden online at Seniority. Bonus - shipping is free on all products, anywhere in India.
Wishing you the best for your evergreen endeavours!