Most people start experiencing heart-related issues during their old age. However, recent studies have shown that more than 30% of heart attack patients are under the age of 40.
It means that a majority of adults start showing symptoms of heart diseases at a much younger age. A hectic lifestyle, lack of physical activities and an unhealthy diet are some of the main reasons for this drastic change.
For a long time now, medical experts have suggested regular practice of yoga for heart problems. Since, it is known to relax the mind and body, yoga is often seen as the ideal solution to reduce stress, anxiety and depression.
Research has also shown that yoga can help control your cholesterol levels as well as blood pressure levels. While you can practice yoga for various issues like treating heart block, it can help improve your breathing as well.
So, here are some simple and effective yoga asanas that can be helpful for a healthy heart.
1. The Mountain Pose (Tadasana)
You can start your journey to a healthy heart with the most basic of all yoga poses - Tadasana. Not only is this the best yoga asana for healthy heart, but it helps strengthen your lower back as well.
How to do it:
- Stand straight with your feet together and keep your back straight
- Now, bring your palms together and interlock them
- Inhale and stretch your arms up with your palms facing downward
- Look up and then gently drop your head back on your shoulders
- Hold for around 5-10 seconds and repeat 1-2 times
2. The Chair Pose (Utkatasana)
The Utkatasana is known to work on your respiration rate which helps your heart health as well. Therefore, it is one of the best heart opeining yoga poses that expands your chest and works on stimulating the respiratory system.
How to do it:
- You can start with the Tadasana and slowly bend your knees and move your hips backwards as if you are sitting on a chair
- Now, raise your hands upwards. Touch the ears and soften the shoulders
- Hold the pose for 5-10 breaths and try stretching upwards if possible
- Release your hands and return to the initial position
3. The Tree Pose (Vrikshasana)
Just like the Mountain Pose, this is also one of the easiest yoga poses that anyone can do. It works on your shoulders and allows you to improve your posture as well. The Vrikshasana is also one of the simplest heart opening yoga poses.
- Stand straight and place your arms at the side of the body
- Bend your right knee while lifting your right leg
- Place it on the inner thigh of your left leg
- Now, raise your arms over your head into a ‘namaste’
- Keep your back straight and hold this position for a few breaths
- Exhale and return to the initial position
- Repeat the same process with your leg
4. The Standing Forward Bend (Uttanasana)
When it comes to yoga for heart health, the Uttanasana is the ideal yoga pose. It is a relaxing yoga pose and requires some flexibility. But, you can perfect the Uttanasana by practicing it regularly which will allow you to experience its calming benefits as well.
- Begin with the Tadasana
- Take a deep breath and bend forward you exhale
- Bend your body at the waist and place your hands on the floor beside your feet
- Extend the stretch, push your torso forward and lift your tailbone
- Hold this position for a few seconds and then release
5. The Big Toe Pose (Padangusthasana)
One of the best yoga poses for healthy heart is the Big Toe Pose. While it involves your thighs and calves, this yoga asana also works on reducing stress and anxiety. The Padangusthasana is often recommended for blood pressure level as well.
- Stand straight with hands on your hips and inhale
- Slowly exhale and bend forward to grab your big toes
- Move your belly inwards and allow your head and neck to relax
- You can bend your knees if your hamstrings are a little tight
- Hold for a few seconds and release
6. The Downward Facing Dog Pose (Adho Mukho Svanasana)
This yoga pose is known to improve balance and offers various calming benefits as well. The Adho Mukho Svanasana involves your shoulders, knees and may be one of the best yoga poses for heart blockage.
- Get on all fours and place your wrists under the shoulders and knees under the hips
- Lift your hips off the floor and push them back towards your heels
- You can try to straighten your legs while pushing your hips back
- Now, press through your palms and rotate your inner elbows towards each other
- Keep your legs engaged and hollow out your abdominals
- Hold for 5-8 breaths and then release
7. The Seated Forward Bend (Paschimottanasana)
Similar to the Standing Forward Bend, the Paschimottasana is also a relaxing yoga pose for improving heart health. Although it requires some flexibility, the Seated Forward Bend is also one of the best yoga asanas to boost immunity.
- Sit down with your legs joined together
- Place your arms by the hips and move forward from your waist
- Engage your lower abdominals and try to touch your stomach to the top of your thighs
- Once you go as far as you can, hold the pose for 8-10 breaths and then release
8. The Bridge Pose (Setu Bandhasana)
This yoga pose works on strengthening your body and improving balance as well. As you practice yoga for heart issues, this Bridge Pose will also help relieve stress levels. It is one of the best yoga asanas for heart blockage as well.
- Lie down on your back and place your feet wide apart
- Now, press down your feet firmly and lift your buttocks off the mat
- You can place your arms to the side with your palms facing down
- Push your hips upwards, hold for 3-4 breaths and release
9. The Cobra Pose (Bhujangasana)
Apart from being one of the most effective yoga asanas for healthy heart, the Cobra pose is also beneficial for your spine and shoulders. It works on your abdomen and may reduce stress and fatigue as well.
- Start by lying down on your stomach
- Stretch your legs out and place your elbows to the side
- Now, lift your chest up and place your body weight on the elbows
- Hold for a few seconds and release
10. The Corpse Pose (Savasana)
Although this yoga asana is widely used as a final pose in yoga classes, it is indeed helpful for your heart health. The Corpse Pose allows your body to relax and helps manage your stress levels too. This makes it one of the best yoga asanas for heart health.
- Lie down on your back with your arms on the side
- Keep your legs stretched out and close your eyes
- Relax your body and breathe slowly
- You can continue this for a few minutes
Since, yoga allows you to include some helpful physical activity in your daily routine, it is a smart way of staying fit and healthy, despite your hectic lifestyle.
Apart from regularly practicing yoga for heart health, you need to also work on maintaining a healthy diet. As it allows you to experience the benefits of a healthy heart, it can also prove to be one of the best ways to happy and healthy aging.